Sunday, 18 June 2017

Drunk on Rhododendron.

'Drunk on Rhododendrons'. That's the title of this illustration. While on most Sunday mornings, I make a perfect cup of coffee and sit in the balcony with a book and some great music in the background, today I did something different. I woke up early at around 5.45 and completed this drawing which I had been postponing forever! It is inspired by the rhododendron trail in Deoriataal-Chopta-Chandrashila peak, which I did last year, where I was literally drunk on rhododendrons- visually as well as the actual juice of the flower  Today is also the day when the Warkaris begin their annual pilgrimage from Dehu and Alandi in Pune, carrying the 'padukas' (wooden footwear) of the 17th century saint poet Sant Tukaram and the 13th century saint poet Sant Dnyaneshwar respectively, to the Vitthal-Rukmini temple in Pandharpur. This is almost a 800 year old tradition in Maharashtra which sees thousands of pilgrims brave different weather conditions as they sing and dance in a spirit of devotion to God. I was wanting to join them for part of the pilgrimage this year, but couldn't make it. Instead here I am, listening to Abhangs (devotional songs written by the saint poets), completing this drawing and hoping I can join them next year. Google up 'Pandharpur Wari' for some stunning photos of the pilgrimage. And have a great Sunday.


Drunk on Rhododendrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...